Monday, August 22, 2011

Remaking Church


If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.

-- Glenn Clark
It is time to “remake” church. We have operated too long on too much of the same old traditions. We do that because they give us nice, warm memories about how wonderful it was long ago if not far away. We remember our times, or the times of our children in youth group. We think of retreats, lock-ins, camp songs, and special events. We remember how wonderful they were and we want to recreate that specialness again for a new generation. The problem is the new generation has moved on. They want to create their own memories, not simply relive ours. I do not intend to slam old traditions here. I have some very well entrenched traditions of my own. However, when it comes to where our congregation should be, I find myself quoting the words of Dr. Phil, “How’s that workin’ for ya?”


Youth and young adults these days are more direct than they were even in my generation. I was never allowed to call an adult by their first name, even if I tried to attach a Mr. or Miss to it. I remember VERY clearly being told to tell my father that Garland was on the phone and wished to speak to him. Well, I relayed that exact message to my father and was met with the following response, “That would be Mr. Disharoon for you. Please don’t forget that in the future.” Obviously, a comment and a tone that had a LASTING impression upon me.  

I’m not complaining about the new found familiarity that young people seem to have with adults. On the one hand, I think it helps us bridge the generation gap between adults, young adults, and youth. No, my point is simply that times have definitely changed. Yet, the church, consistently, is among the last place to change with the times.  

In response to my own comments, I am asking you to join me in a new effort in ministry at First Presbyterian Church. Carpathia will adopt the attitude of the RMS Carpathia which prompted the passengers and crew of that ship to put aside all other ordinary tasks when the call for assistance came from the Titanic, steam through the night, and work until all who could be rescued were rescued indeed. We will meet the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 P.M. in the church parlor. We will begin on Thursday, September 1st. Come and join with us. Come with ideas, but come ready to champion your ideas through your own sweat equity as well. Together may we save all Christ will allow us.

Pastor Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment