Thursday, November 8, 2012

God's Got It Covered!


Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He’s going to be up all night anyway.
(Mary C. Crowley)

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you.

1 Peter 5:6-7 (NASB)

In case you missed it, we had a presidential election this past week. Before many of us went to bed on Tuesday night we heard the country’s decision. For some, that was a tremendous comfort. For others, the same decision caused ulcers, tears, and a sleepless night. The question I have is “Why?”

Oh, I am not trying to say I did not have my own preferences. I certainly did, and I probably exhibited many of the behaviors I will write about below. However, this is not the forum for politics. It is a forum for faith. I probably should have written this article prior to the election rather than after its decision, in hopes that I might have heeded it myself.

I had college friends who campaigned for their candidate as though their eternal destiny depended on the outcome of the election. Maybe they thought it did. Looking back on the whole process, maybe we can begin to put it in its proper place and perspective.

For Christians, I believe Jesus Christ wants us to learn some lessons. Hopefully we will remember them all the way to the next election!

1.      If most of us were half as passionate about our own personal faith in Jesus Christ as we were about promoting our particular candidate, we would be much farther advanced in our Christian walk.

2.      If we tried to evangelize the lost with the same fervor we tried to win over voters, we would be closing in on the goal of every person on the planet having heard the Good News.

3.      Regardless of who sits behind the desk in the Oval Office, it is our Heavenly Father who steers the course of this country.

4.      God’s love for us is infinite and eternal. The grace of Jesus Christ given freely to you never has been and never will be linked to you voting for a particular candidate.

5.      If Christ will not disown a person for their voting, or not voting a specific way, who are we to break fellowship with fellow Christians because they voted differently than we did.

So, it is time to re-friend your “unfriended” Facebook friends and relatives, it is time to pray for God’s blessing of those who have been elected, even if you did not vote for them, and it is time to live out the Scripture song about how the world will know we are Christians by how we love one another.

Don’t worry, God has it covered!

Pastor Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment