Saturday, April 5, 2014

HUMILITY

Humility is the possible fruit of being humbled. I say “possible” because there are those who have had chances to learn humility; they have indeed been humbled; but the lesson was not assimilated into the individual’s life.

It is said the General Robert E. Lee was one of the most humble Christian men of his day. Here is an account showing his humility.

I had been a most bitter anti-South man, and fought and cursed the Confederates desperately, I could see nothing good in any of them. A ball shattered my left leg. I lay on the ground not far from Cemetery Ridge, and as General Lee ordered his retreat, he and his officers rode near me. As they came along I recognized him, and, though faint from exposure and loss of blood, I raised up my hands, looked Lee in the face, and shouted as loud as I could—‘Hurrah for the Union.’ The General heard me, looked, stopped his horse, dismounted and came toward me. I must confess I at first thought he meant to kill me. But as he came up he looked down at me with such a sad expression upon his face that all fear left me, and I wondered what he was about. He extended his hand to me, grasping mine firmly, and looking right into my eyes, said: ‘My son, I hope you will soon be well.’ If I live to a thousand years I shall never forget the expression on General Lee’s face. There he was defeated, retiring from a field that had cost him and his cause almost their last hope, and yet he stopped to say words like those to a wounded soldier of the opposition who had taunted him as he passed by! As soon as the General had left me, I cried myself to sleep there upon the bloody ground.

Of all the Scriptures on humility, maybe it is best that we remember this one first, as our example: For even the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45).

Pastor Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment