Monday, March 1, 2010

One Thing!

One Thing! – It is a wonderful thing to have a focus for one’s life isn’t it. Few of us are so focused as to be able to claim that.

Our interest flits, like a butterfly, from one flower to another. We are never quite sure where we will land. Maybe this one. No, that one over there looks much more appealing. Even when we land it is only for a moment, and our attention is soon drawn somewhere else. We even have names for disorders that make it more difficult for some of us to focus than others, but for most of us, it is simply a lack of discipline.

The Psalmist had many distractions. A war with flesh eating enemies would tend to shake our confidence in many things. It would probably cause us to rethink our priorities. However, the Psalmist doesn’t even blink!

Regardless of immediate circumstances, the Psalmist says, “I will be confident!” His confidence has a centering effect on his life. He focuses on a single priority and builds his life around this one thing. I want to dwell in the house of the Lord ALL the days of my life. I don’t want to remember a day when I was not in intimate contact with my Lord! I want to behold the beauty of the Lord and inquire in His temple. I want to be consumed by my devotion and love for my Creator.

Nothing else matters once I have settled that #1 priority. Let them send armies against me. Let them declare war. Let my enemies come after my very flesh to consume it. I will have confidence in the Lord. I will not doubt regardless of the odds. Though all others would laugh at my faith, yet I will stand firm.
We have seen lives consumed by the things of this world – drugs, wealth, power, fame, sex. Imagine what a difference one could make if they allowed their Savior to be the thing that consumed them and gave them the confidence of a life well lived.

D. L. Moody is credited with saying, “The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in and by the man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him. I will try my utmost to be that man.” Imagine a life so centered, so focused, with such confidence. Imagine a life lived totally and completely for the glory of God. Are you willing to be that person. Imagine the confidence with which you will be able to approach life’s greatest challenges when you have your Savior by your side!                       

Pastor Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment