Sunday, October 10, 2010

Letter From Home

Letters From Home - Recently, I was contacted by a high school classmate of mine. We have not really kept up with one another over the years. We weren’t best friends in high school, but I do consider her one of my friends and was glad to hear from her.



We reconnected, as so many people do these days, through FaceBook. She contacted me because she knew I had sons in the Marine Corps. Her son had VERY recently enlisted and was headed off to Parris Island. Obviously she was interested in the point of view from a parent who had already been through this process. Whenever I have the opportunity to talk to parents of anyone going through basic training in any of our armed service branches I tell them two things. First, do whatever you have to do to get to their graduation. I never had the opportunity to go through basic training, and I am probably worse off for it. However, I do have some idea of the effort and commitment these young men and women put forth to make it to graduation. It is a wonderful accomplishment to share with them if you can. Secondly, I tell them to write to their family member. There is nothing like a letter from home to keep up their spirits and encourage them through the trials of training.



In Jeremiah 29, Jeremiah is writing to the Israelites who have been taken captive and hauled off to Babylon. They are far from home. They are in a strange land, among people who have different customs, worship different gods, and don’t have the strict dietary laws to which the Israelites are accustomed.



This is what Jeremiah says - Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your son and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I (Yahweh, God) have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper . . . When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.



What comforting news! What a gracious letter from home! I wish you well. I hope you prosper. Have a great time. I’ll see you soon! Isn’t that just what we want to hear when we are far away?



Jeremiah knows the people are homesick. He knows they want to come back. He knows they are remorseful about the events that led up to their being carried into exile. He tells them, “Don’t punish yourselves anymore! Get comfortable. Buy a house. Get married. Have children and grandchildren. Live life!



It is amazing how much our God loves us! Even in the act of correction He takes time to remind us that we are loved and care for, that He is eager to have us back, and that He will be the very one that will make sure we get home safely! Live life! Love your Heavenly Father, because he certainly loves you!

Pastor Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment